Maintenance Oral Etoposide or Observation Following High-dose Chemo for GCT
This is an open label randomized phase II trial of maintenance oral etoposide vs. observation in patinets with relapsed GCT treated with high-dose chemotherapy (HDCT) and peripheral-blood stem-cell transplant (PBSCT).
|Condition or Disease||Intervention/Treatment||Phase|
This is a randomized phase 2 trial of maintenance etoposide versus observation following HDCT+PBSCT for relapsed GCT. Patients who completed HDCT+PBSCT within the past 16 weeks will enroll and randomize in 1:1 fashion to maintenance daily oral etoposide 50mg vs. observation only.
Arms and Interventions
|Experimental: Maintenance Oral Etoposide|
Maintenance daily oral Etoposide.
etoposide will be provided with prescription for etoposide 50mg orally daily for 21 days out of 28 day cycles. Cycles will be repeated every 4 weeks for a total of 3 cycles.
|No Intervention: Observation|
If randomized to Observation, subjects will jump to follow-up.
Primary Outcome Measures
- 12-month Progression Free Survival [time from the date of randomization to the date of disease relapse or death (i.e. up to 1 year)]
Investigator determination of tumor progression (clinical, radiographic, tumor markers including AFP and hCG)
Secondary Outcome Measures
- 12-month Overall Survival [Time of registration to death from any cause (i.e. up to 1 year)]
- Assess toxicity and tolerability of maintenance etoposide [through study completion (i.e. up to 2 years)]
Toxicities according to CTCAE v5 will be summarized by frequencies and rates calculated as the proportion of patients in the safety population experiencing SAEs, discontinuations due to AEs, and AEs.
Written informed consent and HIPAA authorization for release of personal health information
Age ≥ 18 years at the time of consent
Histological or serological evidence of non-seminomatous GCT
Relapsed disease after first-line cisplatin-based combination chemotherapy
Completed salvage treatment with HDCT and PBSCT for 2 tandem cycles per Institutional Guidelines
HDCT must have been used as the initial salvage chemotherapy regimen (2nd line therapy) 6.1. Note: 1 or 2 cycles of standard course regimens prior to HDCT are acceptable (regimens include VeIP [vinblastine+ifosfmaide+cisplatin] or TIP [paclitaxel+ifosfamide+cisplatin] or PVB [cisplatin+vinblastine+bleomycin]
Normal or declining tumor markers (AFP and hCG) at time of screening
Adverse events from prior therapy recovered to CTCAE v5.0 grade ≤ 2 at time of registration
Women with ovarian germ cell tumors are eligible
Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group (ECOG) performance status of 0, 1, or 2 within 28 days of study registration
Last dose of HDCT must be ≤16 weeks from study registration
Adequate organ function lab values obtained within 28 days prior to study registration System Laboratory Value Hematological Absolute neutrophil count (ANC) ≥1,000 /mcL Platelets ≥100,000 / mcL Hemoglobin ≥8 g/dL Renal Serum creatinine <2mg/dL Hepatic Serum total bilirubin ≤ 1.5 X ULN OR Direct bilirubin ≤ ULN for subjects with total bilirubin levels > 1.5 ULN
AST (SGOT) and ALT (SGPT) ≤ 2.5 X ULN OR
- 5 X ULN for subjects with liver metastases Coagulation International Normalized Ratio (INR) or Prothrombin Time (PT) ≤1.5 X ULN unless subject is receiving anticoagulant therapy as long as PT or PTT is within therapeutic range of intended use of anticoagulants Activated Partial Thromboplastin Time (aPTT) ≤1.5 X ULN unless subject is receiving anticoagulant therapy as long as PT or PTT is within therapeutic range of intended use of anticoagulants
Male subjects should agree to use an adequate method of contraception starting with the first dose of study therapy through 30 days after last dose of study therapy
If a female of childbearing potential, a negative urine pregnancy test within 28 days prior to receiving the first dose of study drug.
o Non-childbearing potential is defined as (by other than medical reasons):
≥ 45 years of age and has not had menses for >2 years
Amenorrheic for < 2 years without a hysterectomy and/or oophorectomy and a follicle-stimulating hormone value in the postmenopausal range upon pre-study (screening) evaluation
Post hysterectomy or oophorectomy. Documented hysterectomy or oophorectomy must be confirmed with medical records of the actual procedure or confirmed by an ultrasound.
- For female patients of childbearing potential and male patients with partners of childbearing potential, agreement (by patient and/or partner) to use two forms of highly effective contraception (i.e., one that results in a low failure rate [< 1% per year] when used consistently and correctly) and to continue its use for 30 days after the last dose of study therapy.
Relapsed pure seminoma
Rising tumor markers (AFP and hCG) at time of screening
Patients who completed 2nd cycle of HDCT (time since last dose of HDCT) >16 weeks ago
Treatment with any investigational agent within 28 days prior to study registration
Other active malignancy requiring treatment in past 12 months
History of psychiatric illness or social situations that would limit compliance with study requirements
Active infection requiring systemic therapy
Previous hypersensitivity to etoposide which did not recover with supportive care
Pregnancy, lactation, or breastfeeding
Has a history or current evidence of any condition, therapy, or laboratory abnormality that might confound the results of the trial, interfere with the subject's participation for the full duration of the trial, or is not in the best interest of the subject to participate, in the opinion of the treating investigator.
Contacts and Locations
|1||Indiana University Melvin & Bren Simon Cancer Center||Indianapolis||Indiana||United States||46202|
Sponsors and Collaborators
- Nabil Adra
- Principal Investigator: Nabil Adra, MD, Indiana University
Study Documents (Full-Text)None provided.